Brand of pearl necklace?

Gasmom217

I purchased a lovely choker of pearls, approximately 5mm each at an estate sale over 30 yrs ago. Is it possible to tell the brand based on the clasp? It is a 14k stamp on one side, a design on the other. It almost looks like it could have slid into another clasp or something. 7E841B80-AF8A-4901-9255-53B3A7C043E4.jpg9F779C1D-CDE7-450C-9A41-06CC0F3D71E4.jpgA323E863-DDB5-431F-91A8-4872C217784D.jpg80F3146F-8294-4112-84C7-3F7E510046BE.jpgView attachment 73000

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to PG!

The clasp seems oversized for the size of the pearls. I am thinking the original (likely smaller) clasp was removed at some point and the necklace restrung with that box clasp; my mother had this problem as she got older and I had to replace some of her clasps with easier-to-handle ones.

This is supported by the fact that it was strung with the thread connecting directly to the clasp (instead of with a little loop of French wire/gimp to protect the thread and give it a professional looking finish as is typical with fine pearl necklaces).

I don't recognize the brand of the clasp but it's pretty. I see why you are wondering if it slid into something else but I'm wondering whether it's just a defect in the side of the clasp-- the metal opening up?

Last edited:
Thank you- I hadn’t realized that the size of the clasp could be larger than what is expected. But then again, I am not a pearl expert! That is a great observation and it is quite likely. The woman who owned these was in her 80s when she passed. It’s probable that she had them restrung. I know that the quality is good and they are beautiful. I’ve tried to start to wear them more often!

Since you plan to wear them more, think about restringing them. The main stress point for the thread is where it meets the clasp, and that is bare and unprotected.

We have a stringing tutorial and videos on the Lowly Beaders Club form here. Many of us string (and restring) our own pearls. It is not difficult, especially with polyester thread such as Serafil and Beaders Secret, and it saves a lot of money doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Back