blue akoya strand

laurachina

Hi, I actually replied to a thread on blue pearls but wondered if it would be read since I am new to the forum.

So...can you tell me if there is such a thing as a blue/grey akoya 7.5-8 mm with great lustre/orient and few blemishes.
There seems to be no dye in the drill holes and I was told they are platnium blue akoya by the vender I buy from in Beijing for the past 10 years.

I read that this color may change or bleed out in a past posting and wondered if anyone could help me.

I am so glad to have found this site!
Thanks

It definitely could be a natural color, although be careful if buying the strands at Hongqiao as many of the silvers and blues there are actually dyed.

The color should remain stable more or less, but just don't leave them in direct sunlight for periods of time.

hongquio market

hongquio market

Thank you for your help.
I did indeed purchase these from a woman on the 5th floor called Jane.
I want to hope these are truely akoya pearls, and as I said they do not seem to vary in color at the drill hole and I can never really tell about nacre other than the luminescence of the pearl.
I feel the drill hole to be sure there is no cracking or peeling but other than that, is there another way I can tell?

These pearls sold for $900 for a 20 inch strand and I brought a 14kt diamond white gold clasp from home to have it strung on.

Any idea if this is good value for such a strand? I know I need to get my camera to work. The pearls are all very round but while looking on the web, I saw that QVC or somesuch place was offering what looked like my pearls for about $300.
Can that be so?

Thanks for any help.

Back