Black Pearls

cardiacmommy

I decided to purchase my daughter some gem grade freshwater pearls as a gift. Ever since I started researching them, I've become slightly obsessed about pearls and picked these up for myself from a thrift shop. Since the clasp is broken I'll have to restring them. I will also have to restring the bracelet as it's way too big for me. I'll probably move around 4 pearls from the bracelet to the necklace. These seem to range in size from 7 to 8mm. These are darker than most "black" pearls I"ve seen online but they do have some slight overtones of other colors. I'm wearing an orange shirt while photographing these and they definitely reflect my orange! I'd love any thoughts on these. I "think" they are dyed freshwater?
20180818_154657_HDR-1.jpg
20180818_155253_HDR.jpg
20180818_154943_HDR.jpg
20180818_154901_HDR.jpg
20180818_154846_HDR.jpg
20180818_154752_HDR.jpg
20180818_155439_HDR.jpg
20180818_173858_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
If you haven't done any restringing before, see my tutorial on the Lowly Beaders Club forum.

It's not hard and all you need is:

• thread (I suggest Serafil or Beaders Secret, a strong, slippery synthetic thread that makes it a breeze to get knots in the right place without tools)
• a flexible wire needle
• some gimp/French wire (a little coil of wire that protects the thread where it meets the clasp)
• a cuticle trimmer/nail clipper/wire cutter to cut the gimp
• a razor-type craft knife, or slender scissors to cut the knots apart

Thread, gimp and needles are all sold inexpensively by Pattye (the poster before me) in her Etsy shop.

Last edited:
Welcome to P-G, cardiacmommy! Good eye! Nicely round for freshwater pearls and a bonus to have the bracelet also.

Thank you Pattye. I've already placed an order on your Etsy shop. I can't wait to get this set fixed up and wear it!

I was surprised as well at just how round these are for freshwater. It's neat to be able to attach the bracelet to extend the necklace as well. I'm excited to finally start getting "real" jewelry in my 40's! LOL

If you haven't done any restringing before, see my tutorial on the Lowly Beaders Club forum.

It's not hard and all you need is:

• thread (I suggest Beaders Secret, a strong, slippery synthetic thread that makes it a breeze to get knots in the right place without tools)
• a flexible wire needle
• some gimp/French wire (a little coil of wire that protects the thread where it meets the clasp)
• a cuticle trimmer/nail clipper/wire cutter to cut the gimp
• a razor-type craft knife, or slender scissors to cut the knots apart

Thread, gimp and needles are all sold inexpensively by Pattye (the poster before me) in her Etsy shop.

Thank you. I actually have been reading your tutorial for the last hour or two. I ordered supplies and am excited to start this new hobby! :)

You have been bitten by the pearl bug -- welcome to the club!!! :)

Be sure to post when you're done and ask questions when you get stumped! There are some very knowledgeable and helpful pearl lovers here!

Back