Black pearl ID

S

Supernova

I don’t know what these are if anyone has any input?

Attachments

• IMG_3675.jpeg
    IMG_3675.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3673.jpeg
    IMG_3673.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
Dyed freshwaters!

Eggy/off-round shapes, size and colors all point to it.
Would be my first guess prior to examination. Any other suggestions? They aren’t dyed. See second photo, I was trying to show the nacre is black (more brown than black actually)

They look like dyed freshwater pearls to me, too. The color doesn't look like any natural pearl color I've seen, and the eggy shapes are typical of freshwater pearls.

I stick with dyed FWP.

Tahitians are not naturally brown or black, more like light gray or dark gray gray or greenish body color.
Dyed akoyas would be fully round and more uniformly dark, and not brownish.

Last edited:
I stick with dyed FWP.

Tahitians are not naturally brown or black, more like light gray or dark gray gray or greenish body color.
Dyed akoyas would be fully round and more uniformly dark, and now brownish.
I don’t think they are Tahitians. I had curiosity about figi perhaps? See photo 2 under polariscope…. These have nucleus

To see Fijian pearls, check out the photos in Justin Hunter's thread here:

And fabulous photos here:

Dark colored nacre such as one sees in Tahitians, Sea of Cortez, Fijian, etc. is not transparent. You'd need to Xray them to see if there is a nucleus.

Here is a great article about Fijian pearls, with photos:

The Fijian pearl harvest is small! Imagine how hard it would be to make a matched strand all one color!

Edited to add: Even if you could make a matched dark strand, why on earth would you? The glory of Fijian pearls is those fabulous colors!
Just look at the strand that was given to Meghan Markle!

Sorry guys I hate being wrong 😑

But there are no blemishes so I’m officially convinced dyed FW pearls.

Lol sorry hard headed

Sure, any pearl can have (and show) blemishes!
Edited to add: Treatments don't cover or remove blemishes.
Dyed FWP can have lots of blemishes, and often do, because it's not usually the best quality pearls that are dyed.

However, the Honora company dyes nicer FW pearls, too. Just one example.

Last edited:
Great thread and input for @Supernova
This is how you learn! When working with pearls and making questions, reading books and examining more and more pearls!

Great thread and input for @Supernova
This is how you learn! When working with pearls and making questions, reading books and examining more and more pearls!
@CortezPearls Hey this isn’t really related to this thread but the green pearls I was asking about in another thread, I noticed a dice on the back of it which is usually with the Mexico brand. So I did the FL in dark room, before room wasn’t dark and I think it might be fluorescing red but want your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4024.jpeg
    IMG_4024.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
@CortezPearls Hey this isn’t really related to this thread but the green pearls I was asking about in another thread, I noticed a dice on the back of it which is usually with the Mexico brand. So I did the FL in dark room, before room wasn’t dark and I think it might be fluorescing red but want your opinion?
I do recommend you use a black/dark background when using a black lamp, this way you can observe the effect better and also avoid "frying your eyes" (UV bounces off and damages your corneas).
I don't see any fluorescence...you can see that the metal setting also glows the same way. Also, use a white pearl as your "witness". If the pearl fluoresces as expected, then you can trust the lamp and results.
My video is fantastic to show this. Thank you @Pearl Dreams for sharing it :D

Back