Are those FW or SS ???

imanit

Baroque Pearl
Those are being offered to me as South Sea.
Are they ???
Is there any chance that they might be saltwater ???
Color/luster looks to me more like what SS could be, shape, on the other hand looks like FW flameball...

j3small.jpg

What diameter size are they? I agree that the shapes look like FW. The top ones looks like it has doubles, which would not be SS. Also can't see the rest of the clasp, but fish hook clasps on SS isn't the norm. The more I look at them, the more they say FW to me. I haven't handled tons of white SS but the ones I have are more of a silvery-white color. The baroque ones tend to look more like they have been poured from something liquid. I have now convinced myself that these are FW. Here's a good article with pics to help. http://www.modernjeweler.com/web/online/Pearl-Gem-Profiles/South-Sea-Baroque-Cultured-Pearls/3$261
Of course if the price is right and the pearls are super large, I've been seeing white flameball strand selling for prices that are quite high. However, I'm not sure I'd reward a dishonest person by buying from them.

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but in my opinion, they look like freshwater fireballs.

Gail

Last edited:
Big thanks for your opinions. You just confirmed what I suspected.
sizes: 12-13 x 18-21 ( drops) and 12.3-15.7 x 15.9-20

I like them and I would buy them as FW, but not now, after seller confirmed to me that they are SS !!!!!!

The second one looks more like South Sea pearls. Here is a photo of some grayish pearls I took at the Paspaley grading room. Remember, they are bead-nucleated, so they can have tails. The surface on photo one looks more like freshwaters to me, but to see them in person is everything.

silver%20close%20up.jpg

???????? ;)

Is it just me, or does anyone else ever smell their pearls? I can sometimes smell the ocean in SS and Tahitians. I guess it depends on what has happened to them before they arrive, but I can sometimes. This is what I've been seeing/getting in the Indonesian South Sea baroques. Hasty shots.

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 67
  • SS3.jpg
    SS3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for pictures. I would say - "mine" look little different... still, I think they are FW. I sent another email to the seller asking for clarification.....

Sheryl, in the spirit of learning for a young spat, may I ask you a question? You said that fish hook clasps are not the norm on SS pearls. What would I want to look for in the way of clasps?

I know a clasp will not give me any definitive answers on what kind of pearls I might be looking at, and will certainly do a great deal more research when buying anything, but any helpful tips such as this answer would add to my knowledge bank.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Julie,
what Sheryl means is probably that for such large pearls a larger clasp is used and also that it will be made of the more expensive types of metal as platinum, whitegold, perhaps even a combination with diamonds! This is not necessarily so but usually the more expensive the pearls, the more expensive the clasp.

Thanks Inge! I suspected that might be the answer but I'm trying to learn the lesson to stop "assuming"!

I do appreciate everyone on this forum being so willing to share and spread their vast knowledge on nature's glorious works of art!

Back