Are these South Sea

Jaye

Hello All
After my mother passed away, i found many pearls in her deposit box.
These are loose baroques, which i had made up into earrings. Jeweler told me they are SS, but do not know indonesia or Australia.
Can anyone offer an idea? An also are they genuine South sea?
Many thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 67999BB4-D4E7-4DA3-BE90-FB283F42E21B.jpg
    67999BB4-D4E7-4DA3-BE90-FB283F42E21B.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 52
They look like genuine white south sea pearls. But I can't tell you if they're Australian or Indonesian wssps. You've found something to cherish, I hope you enjoy wearing them.

OOOO, those are lovely drops. Very princessy. They look like real SS pearls to me, too.

Yes, they do look like SSP! The mollusk is still Pinctada maxima, wherever they came from.

Yes, they do look like SSP! The mollusk is still Pinctada maxima, wherever they came from.

Thank you Parelje, B WEAVES and Pearl Dreams. I certainly cherish them very much. Whatever pieces that my mother had made into jewelry, i am leaving as they are, even though they are not my style. Loose pearls and stones I feel free to play with.

I have been told that Ausralian wss are more desirable than indonesian.
Does anyone have any input on this?
There was an old thread here on Pearl Guide about the pearls of the Queen of Thailand. Some had speculated that they are natural pearls, but in actuality they are Paspaley WSS.

I have been told that Ausralian wss are more desirable than indonesian.
Does anyone have any input on this?

From Renee Newman's book Pearl Buying Guide, 6th ed., p.70:

"The color varies depending on which variety of Pinctada maxima oyster the pearl comes from-- the silver-lip or gold-lip. The silver-lip oyster, the main oyster in Australia, tends to produce silvery white pearls. The gold-lip variety, which is more comonly found around countries such as Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines, is more likely to produce gold, yellow or cream-colored pearls."

Back