Are these real Mikimoto? Doesn't have M on clasp, only ‘Sterling’. They are grity on my teeth. My deceased god mothers. So can't ask.

amyclair

IMG_8281.jpeg
IMG_8289.png
IMG_8282.jpeg

Very hard if not impossible to find out information (for me) on un hallmarked mikimoto. The company won’t even authenticate unless it’s hallmarked. But if you just want to know for your purposes, yes those look like mikimoto pearls and yes that clasp is gorgeous, and mikimotos style.
These look legit and probably belong in a museum :p mostly the box is what is amazing to me.
This is a treasure.

They look like very nice pearls, but they don't look like Mikimoto to me because the clasp isn't a Miki clasp. The box is old and may have been reused.

The nice handkerchief in the bottom is exactly the sort of thing my mom and grandmother did to worn out boxes, when they wanted to keep something nice in there.

I wonder if the pearls were bought in Japan, because they are strung without knots, which is common there.

Last edited:
They have superb matching and I do see knots...so I would say these are Japanese Akoya, very likely Mikimoto, but clasps and boxes can be easily exchanged, so these would not be the truest indicators.

They have superb matching and I do see knots...so I would say these are Japanese Akoya, very likely Mikimoto, but clasps and boxes can be easily exchanged, so these would not be the truest indicators.
I see knots near the clasp, but not in the rest of the strand. Or maybe they're very tiny knots. They do look like very nice pearls. A gentle wash would make them look even nicer.

Last edited:
I see knots near them clasp, but not in the rest of the strand. Or maybe they're very tiny knots. They do look like very nice pearls. A gentle wash would make them look even nicer.
You're right! The lower-darker portion of the photo shows the strand without knots. I did not see that. Good eyes!

Back