Are there pearls with blue overtones?

jiazzi

Hello, I am totally new to pearls but have been reading the forum posts recently. I really like the idea of non-dyed pearls with a blue overtone. Would the peacock overtone I've read about and seen on internet sites be the likely candidate? Just curious if there is such a thing with light colored pearls or if this only applies to black pearls. Hope this all makes sense. I just love the idea of a non-dyed bluish colored pearl. :D

Hi Jiazzi,

I would describe the peacock color as more teal, blue-green to green overtones with a darker background, The blue pearls as shown in the photos are very, very, very rare in the intense color. I have not seen any like that in person as yet. However there are some blue-platinum south sea pearls which are light in color and lavender freshwater pearls with blue overtones, very lovely too! The latter are not so rare and and freshwater are quite affordable also. Yikes, almost forgot about the platinum blue akoyas! Is this what you had in mind?? They are at times offered by several of the online sellers who post here on the forum.
7a3b_1.jpgPhoto by Carolyn Ehret of DruzyDesign.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh...Those are so gorgeous!!! Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. Are these akoyas relatively affordable and available compared to the south sea pearls you described?

I also like the peacock teal color too...that sounds lovely. I will have to start a pearl savings account now.

Hi Again, Jiazzi, and welcome to the fun here!

The Akoya's in the blue platinum baroque are approx 6-8mm in size and start roughly in the $200 range per strand and up from there. You might want to sign up for email notices of sales from the online sellers that post here to watch for them, as they are somewhat rare, although most of us here are liking them a lot so I think we will continue to see them for sale. There are also a few (a very few) ebay sellers who are trust-worthy pearl sellers that sometimes have them also. As you read the posts here, you will figure out who they are.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I just received a natural Akoya bracelet from The Pearl Outlet and it is a beautiful baby blue with silver shine. They may have a similar item. It might be a good place to start your journey into...........The Secret Life of Pearl Addicts ehem..... mmm...... I mean Pearl-Guide membership. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the information. It will be a while before I can get my first set of pearls but until then, I will keep reading and learning more through this forum.

Back