Are my pearls freshwater?

J

JeanLuc

I wrote in the question section that I purchase some pearl with a certification, but this only says cultured. I read this site and its saying that freshwater pearls are also culturing like saltwater. I think my pearls are the freshwater, but because the certification is high I think maybe they are saltwater because the saltwater is more valuable. How can I tell if what they are?

What do your pearls look like?
I think it is strange that a certification does not list whether or not the pearls are freshwater or saltwater. Is the appraisal done by a jeweler or is it done by a lab? I would not trust any certificate done by a jeweler unless I knew their credentials. Pearls are unlike diamonds and other stones. They are much more difficult to grade, and without a lot of experience most jewelers will not be able to give you a good description of your piece.

I actually just looked at your last post. I am sorry to say but the certification you received is basically worthless. From everything I have heard and read about in other forums the GGG is just a scam - owned by an eBay seller, basically just stealing from people.

But that is beside the point. I would be glad to help you determine the origin of your pearls.

The pearl is in a bracelet style that does not attach a catch. I think wire, but I am not sure. The pearl are not so round, but each side is very flat next to the next one. It have 4 row each of the pearl. The lab paper I receive says AAA half-moon pearl. But I searched the half-moon pearl and I cannot find this one on the Internet.

I think I know exactly what bracelet you are describing. Are the flat sides of the pearls facing up and facing against your skin? Is the bracelet on a stretch 'thread' not wire, so you can just slide it over your wrist?

Yes, it is just exactly like this one. I am sorry for before, it is not wire but like you say.

What you have is a stretchy freshwater bracelet. The pearls are definitely freshwater pearls.

I am very sorry to tell you this, but your bracelet is nearly worthless. These are sold in large boxes at jewelry shows for $3-$5 each piece, and in Asia for less than $1. If the pearls were round freshwater with a high luster they would have more value, but I imagine the pearls are very small as well. Most likely around 4-5mm is the bracelet has 4 rows.

I would surmise that the bracelet would retail for about $25-$35 in a store. You would probably not find it in a jewelry store, but maybe a designer jewelry store. I hope you did not pay too much for this piece.

Yes, this is very well describes my bracelet. I think I have been made a fooling. The certification for the bracelet say that the value of my pearl is in US dollars $4900. I know that this is not going to be true when I see it but now I see the value is even lower than I was paying. What can I do? The seller has a very good feedback and when I was asking about this one they just say it is from the US lab so it is real value.

I am sorry that you were taken. This does happed on eBay a lot and it is very unfortunate. It hurts all of us in the online community, especially pearl retailers.
What I would suggest is writing a letter to the JVC here in the US. You can find their Site at JVCLEGAL.ORG. Send me a private message before you do and I can help you word it if you are having any difficulties.
You probably do not have any recourse against the GGG, as there is not a lot you can do from France, but I would contact the seller and ask for a full refund. You should contact eBay as well - I know they do not like to hear about fraud.

I do not really know too much about the lab which prepared your certification, but I know exactly who to forward your question to from the 'Question & Answers' board. I am sure he will be able to give you more information about them as he is the one that first told me!

Thank you very much for all your helps. I will peer at the question again tomorrow to see if theres more information then.

Bye for this morning.

Unfortunately, misrepresentation is prevelant on eBay, both by experienced and inexperiences sellers as well.

Here is how to protect yourself when buying on eBay:

1. Read the descriptions thoroughly, and understand them.

2. Look at the photos closely. Is the photo of the actual item you are purchasing? If not sure, ask the seller.

3. Read the sellers feedback.

4. Pay via PayPal, and understand PayPal's buyer protection rules.

5. Save a copy of the auction page.

6. Save your invoice receipt.

7. When the item arrives, inspect it against the description and photographs.

8. If the item is not as described, immediately email the seller and ask for a complete refund, including shipping and return shipping, and instructions on how to return. Save all emails.

9. If the seller does not cooperate, contact PayPal and eBay advising them the item was not as described. Take good, clear photographs of the item received and submit this along with all documents and emails you have collected.

If it is proven that the item is not as described, PayPal will charge back the seller for the item.

10. Better yet, do not buy pearls on eBay.

Bill

I would have to agree! Buying pearl jewelry on Ebay is a losing battle. There is so many sellers whom use misrepresentation to sell their jewelry. You can purchase high quality pearl jewelry at low prices from reputable companies elsewhere.

Jean luc,

I feel so bad that you were taken as well by a despicable dealer on E-bay. Now As a rule of thiumb I do not do online auctions! Especially for Pearls and other Jewellery.

Ashby

Not only from the ebay. Buying pearls from exporter through internet from China is very risky too. I have experience of buying the necklaces and 75 percent of them are damaged products. some pearls in the necklaces have holes and some shell pieces are broken.

I would not sell them to my customers.

It's also so important to look at their return policy. If you feel that the return policy seems too short or there isn't enought time for you to receive the product and send it back, then I wouldn't make the purchase.

This type of fraud has been going on for several years now on eBay. The GGG has been reported by several people that I know of, but no one will take any real action, so it continues.

Here's a link to one of the previous threads on this forum discussing the GGG:

GGG

My advice is to leave bad feedback so other's don't get taken so easily.

True, always buy from a reputable source! Oh and always take a second opnion if in doubt from people such as Amanda!

Good luck in your next shopping spree. Till then good-bye and hope you dont make the same mistake twice! Cheers!

I agree, there are many people here who really are in the know whenit comes to pearls all one has to do is ask! I love lerning from the professionals here.

Cheers,

Ash

Back