another lampwork/pearl necklace

P

pmorna742

Here's something else I made. Same bead artist, fine and sterling beads and wire.

Attachments

• DSC_0417.jpg
    DSC_0417.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 60
close ups

close ups

I give up. I don't know why sometimes the photos I try to post do, but not always. I've resized this photo, and it looks like it has uploaded, but then there's nothing when I look at my post.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments. Gem Geek, seriously, why have beads like the flourite on Migem been cut, if you're right - I'm not miffed, I'd just like to know.

Morna

Those gem marquises are faboo, so I'm sure they'll be well cared for. Faceted transparent gem fluorite (not the banded or included stuff) has only become more mainstream in the last few years. It was previously sold to collectors.

My pet peeve is gems being sold without disclosure. Fluorite in a ring without an accompanying warning would be criminal. I see Apatite also sold in rings without disclosure. I have an apatite ring, but I know it's soft and breaks easily. Some shopping channels are selling fragile stones in rings without telling consumers about the durability risks. They would probably still buy them, but I'm sure they would appreciate knowing what they were getting into.

Kyanite is another highly breakable gem. I saw a bracelet just the other day...

Okay, this is the problem when you are a gem geek -- you obsess over the small stuff. I'm glad you aren't miffed!

Here is a comment about fluorite found here...
Because fluorite is soft, and cleaves so readily, it is not suitable for jewelry purposes. In spite of this, collectors are drawn to its beautiful colors. Fluorite is not commonly faceted. It is difficult to obtain a brilliant polish on such soft material, and the resulting gems must be treated with great care to avoid damage. Nevertheless, museums and collectors search out and prize faceted fluorites to grace the shelves of their collections.

Cheers,
Blaire

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh Morna,
It's gorgeous. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Well said GemGeek. I also have noticed the shopping channels and some jewelry stores selling soft gems (apatite, kyanite, diopside, etc.) in rings and bracelets without disclosure or a protective setting.:mad:

Pmorna742, your necklace is beautiful. It looks very feminine and fairy-like.

pearllove said:
Pmorna742, your necklace is beautiful. It looks very feminine and fairy-like.

Fairy-like -- exactly! Also, I'm very partial to the pink and green combination, although this one is probably more of a peach, it's terrific. :)

GemGeek said:
My pet peeve is gems being sold without disclosure.

Whew! I consider myself fully disclosed, forewarned, cautioned, and shame on me if I buy them. But nothing shall thwart my love of fluorite, chrome diopside (even emeralds are jealous of the green in chrome diopside) and that neon apatite. :) Oh, and I'm with you Blaire, green and pink are fantabulous together.

knotty panda said:
Whew! I consider myself fully disclosed, forewarned, cautioned, and shame on me if I buy them. But nothing shall thwart my love of fluorite, chrome diopside (even emeralds are jealous of the green in chrome diopside) and that neon apatite. :) Oh, and I'm with you Blaire, green and pink are fantabulous together.

La Pandita, you are so right! We wear what we love, despite knowing it may not last long. ;)

Morna, I liked the other necklace, but this one keeps growing on me. I love the way it's arranged like a heart and the slate background really enhances the colors. Neutral, but distinctive. I'm going to have to rethink some of my web photography. You must figure out the photo thing. I really want to get a better look at the lampwork beads and the dangles. You have a nice airy style and probably a whole lot more patience than I do! ;)

Are you going up to the little icon of a paper clip and selecting "manage attachments" to put in your photos? I want so much to see a larger photo. Anyway, do what you can and keep sharing your work. I find it inspiring. This necklace makes me want to start doing things for Spring! ;)

[QUOTE=GemGeek .
Okay, this is the problem when you are a gem geek -- you obsess over the small stuff. I'm glad you aren't miffed!

Hi Blaire,

Ah, maybe you were thinking about rings, then. I don't do rings - tried twice to silversmith, (glutton for punishment!) and didn't enjoy it. I need to work with colour; that's what inspires me.

I'm obsessional about detail, too. I think that's the difference between a mediocre design and a good one. Funnily enough, although I'm not particularly patient, I never get impatient if I'm not seeing eye to eye with my components ;) That's another world altogether for me.

I love apatite and kyanite too. I made a necklace last year with some cracking kyanite nuggets, and it didn't sell. Aren't folk queer?!

Morna

lampwork glass beads

lampwork glass beads

GemGeek said:
Are you going up to the little icon of a paper clip and selecting "manage attachments" to put in your photos? I want so much to see a larger photo.

Yes, I'm just not managing to be consistent.

A wee comment about lampwork beads. If you're not familiar with them, maybe you'd like to take a closer look at what's out there. I've seen auctions go into 4 figures, for a set of 7 beads. Now that I'm able to ask more for my jewellery, I'm trying to make sure the artists I buy from get realistic prices for their work. I really don't like to see people bidding as low as they can for lampwork, or any craft. The huge hike in silver and the falling dollar is making life very difficult for many crafters. I fear many will not be able to continue.

On a lighter note, I'm going to be making some wedding jewellery later this year, incorporating beads which I've commissioned from one of my favourite bead artists. Am I lucky, or what!

Morna

You are lucky! I haven't done a wedding set.

Lampwork -- your second necklace got me thinking about my lampwork beads, which are by Judy Carlson. They are definitley spring-y.

These remind me of candy...
judy carlson candy.jpg

And these were too cute, so I had to buy them. Now you have inspired me to at least think about what to do with them. Pearls would go well with sea life...;)
judy carlson lampwork.jpg

Too many beads, not enough time! :eek:

Oh, those are gorgeous lampwork beads! Are Murano glass beads considered lampwork? I fell in love with them in Italy and dragged a bag full home from Italy in Sept, and have been having fun with them ever since. (A few examples on my Lowly Beader thread.) Baire, I can see those "candy beads" with pearls easily! and Morna, I too, look forward to a close-up of the elements of your lovely necklace...........

Yes, I have noticed also that many gems are sold without explaining their character, including tanzanite, which is often soooooo expensive!

The lucky thing for us beaders, is when we use fragile gems and a stone gets damaged, we can more easily restring or redesign the item.

Speaking of fluorite, I am seeing lots of it, and recently picked up some very large faceted banded purple full brios. Hopefully if I make earrings, I won't drop them in the bathroom sink!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

p.s. Blaire, Sorry to hear your home isn't back together yet.

murano lampworkers

murano lampworkers

pattye said:
Oh, those are gorgeous lampwork beads! Are Murano glass beads considered lampwork?
Pattye

Hi Pattye,

Yes, Murano lampwork glass beads are wound on a stainless steel mandrel, whilst being heated by a torch. The word "lampwork" stems from the original method of heating the glass with a gas lamp, back in the 12/13th century, in Venice. Nowadays the beads are heated by more sophisticated torches. The glass is manufactured in long rods, and once the artist has finished using one colour, he chooses another coloured glass rod to work with, heats that, and as the rod turns molten, the pattern of the bead takes shape. Murano lampworkers are still given the same amount of recognition that they had all those centuries ago.

Lucky you, being able to see them for yourself!

Morna

Back