Another GIANT pearl

Redhorse

I know absolutely nothing about pearls so here's my question for preferably a qualified appraiser or seller of rare gems.

Another giant pearl has been found and this one is over 23lbs(+/-) and comes from the same area as the new world record pearl. My question here is even though these giant pearls are not gem quality they fetch huge appraisal amounts, so DOES anyone buy these pearls?

Or can rare objects like this once appraised be monetized like any other asset? Any advice or help would be appreciated. Just FYI arrangements are currently being made to transport this 23lb pear to the US for appraisal and possibly looking for buyers.

These items, whether they are actually pearls or just shell that has been polished and worked, come from an endangered species and are not legal to sell here in the USA.

Please read the following threads:

Is it the current trend these days? Giant clam pearl bogus and canned pearl thingy?

Sorry if I am being negative, but I am very tired of all these "giant clam pearls".
It sounds like a waste of time and money to ship it to the USA.
It might be confiscated.
You probably will not be able to sell it.
No one here wants one.
This is what a valuable clam pearl looks like:

Blaire Beavers Tridacna Pearl.jpg

Beauty sells.

Sorry if I am being negative, but I am very tired of all these "giant clam pearls".
It sounds like a waste of time and money to ship it to the USA.
It might be confiscated.
You probably will not be able to sell it.
No one here wants one.
This is what a valuable clam pearl looks like:

View attachment 46603

Beauty sells.

And that is a beauty!

Another giant pearl has been found and this one is over 23lbs(+/-) and comes from the same area as the new world record pearl. My question here is even though these giant pearls are not gem quality they fetch huge appraisal amounts, so DOES anyone buy these pearls?

Or can rare objects like this once appraised be monetized like any other asset? Any advice or help would be appreciated. Just FYI arrangements are currently being made to transport this 23lb pear to the US for appraisal and possibly looking for buyers.

Nobody buys these, ever. Those who hack and polish them from shells have no idea the evidence is right before their eyes. If they were a genuine pearl from T. gigas, you'd know it. Blaire (GemGeek) posted an example.

The scientific value of these crude fakes is zero, or near zero. There's nothing to be gained that can't be learned from any bivalve shell with a blister. The large size is irrelevant.

In fact, smaller is better. I provide microscopic pearls to scientists in preeminent paleontology labs, which are preserved within the tissues. From these, we can study epithelial behavior, onset pathology, mineral modification, stratification, mantle acid/base reversion to name just a few. The limits are boundless. We've barely scratched the surface of this phenomenon.

You know what they say about polishing a turd or making a silk purse from a sow's ear. ;)

Here's some examples of the apparitions that appear in my inbox from time to time. I don't even bother to reply.

One may be the lump of calcium carbonate you've mentioned.

Attachments

• tridacna_gigas_shell01.jpg
    tridacna_gigas_shell01.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Silver blue Tahiti set on blue sapphire and rhodium plated gold
    Silver blue Tahiti set on blue sapphire and rhodium plated gold
    46.6 KB · Views: 71
  • tridacna_gigas_shell03.jpg
    tridacna_gigas_shell03.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 58
Yikes, Dave. Sure am glad no one sends me photos like that :)

Those remind me of bones or teeth. I am waiting for the day when someone thinks they can sell one of these and puts a gold bail on it to wear as a pendant.

Back