Advice : combining three graduated pearl strands

leclou

I have inherited three graduated pearl necklaces (16 in.), which I want to combine into a three-strand necklace.

One is a Mikimoto from the 50s, with very average lustre, and a large central pearl measuring around 9.5; the pearls are round.

The other two strands, with better than average lustre, and central pearls measuring 8.5 and 8. One has round pearls, the other has slightly irregular round pearls (not baroque).

I suppose I could have the three attached to a single clasp. But the differences in quality might be sort of obvious.

Or I could mix the pearls up from all three necklaces, but retain the three largest pearls at the centre of each strand. This might somewhat disguise the fact that the pearls are different in quality and shape... Or it might just look odd?
I'd really appreciate advice from anyone with experience in transforming estate jewelry.

leclou,

Welcome. Is this a project you plan to do yourself? You mentioned that 1 necklace has lower luster. The other 2 necklaces may also have slightly different luster, color and overtones from each other. Some photos of them on a white background might help us visualize the necklaces better.

Each strand would need to be about an inch (approx) longer than the next.
If the necklaces are taken apart and the order of the graduation "lost" it will be difficult to reconstruct, especially if the strands are mixed together.

Your question certainly merits a good discussion!

Hi
I'd like to see some photos too. Sometimes you can wear a mix of necklaces together as a torsade-like combo. I have taken apart and randomly mixed graduated strands, before. I quite like the look, but in your case, it ay depend on how well the pearls look when mixed for color, surface or other qualities. Most likely they will look fine in any combo you choose.

I'm thinking that if you've got the paper work for the Mikimoto's they will lose most of their value if you split up the strand.

- Karin

Back