60-80 year old pearls. Please help

LucL

Hi there! A little back story, my grandmother is 96, her memory isn’t what it used to be. What she does know, her cousin gave her these when she was super young. Her cousins husband was a millionaire. What I do know, they’re real. What I don’t know is what kind of pearls they are. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0194.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 53
Yes, they look like Akoya pearls!

Do you think it’s worth the time to get appraised?
It would probably be expensive to do so. Would this be for insurance purposes? If so: it could be worth it.
Otherwise: I don't think so.

It would probably be expensive to do so. Would this be for insurance purposes? If so: it could be worth it.
Otherwise: I don't think so.
It’s for my dad, he’d like to know the value. He brought it to the local jewelry store, and suggested another specific store as they might be fairly valuable

They're very nice. The ruby clasp is probably worth more than the pearls. I don't think they're worth getting appraised. Insurance value is not the same as resale value which will be much lower. What value is your dad wanting?

Search online for pearls that are the same mm in diameter, and necklaces that are the same length, and clasps that are the same karat gold, and compare prices. Look at similar pieces on Ebay and see the prices of the ones that sold. Not the asking price, but the actual price they sold.

I did a little googling and a 18" strand of pearls from the 1960s have Ebay asking prices in the $100 to $400 range. They may sell for less, though. Pearls don't tend to hold their value.

Back