Different clasps on Mikimoto necklaces .. what do they mean?

MKG

Hello :)

I purchased a Mikimoto necklace and earring set last year.

My strand has a diamond in the clasp, where most of the stands I have seen on the Mikimoto website have a pearl instead.
Does this signify anything in particular?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I should say I purchased these from a consignment store - not from a retailer or I would most likely know the answer :)

Last edited:
The diamond clasps were generally put on the better strands...I'd like to see a photo.
Is it the figure 8 clasp? I've seen a diamond on that one.

I agree, the diamond clasps were put on the higher quality pearl strands.

I'd love to see a photo of that strand and its clasp, too.

It sounds like someone's children got rid of Mom's clothing and jewelry and didn't know what they had.

Thank you for the reply :). I will take a photo and upload today after work (I am on the pacific coast)

I think you could pay extra to get a diamond clasp on the mid-grade pearls too.

I just got off the phone with Mikimoto bc I couldn't find wherei I read where you could buy a diamond clasp for certain pearls. Here is what I was told.

If the clasp is the current swirly ribbon with a pearl, the pearls are A1 or A+. Only the AA and AAA have the diamond clasps. You can change out the clasps but the current pearl clasps cannot be re-clasped into one with a diamond. Either type of clasp is not available in 14k.

Last edited:
Here are some photos I took. Pearls are hard to capture on film :). Thank you to everyone who has offered information.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B494FA86-67C8-498D-BBE4-E362D3339970.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	375724

Click image for larger version  Name:	B494FA86-67C8-498D-BBE4-E362D3339970.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	375724

Attachments

• 551C5B5B-024F-435E-9292-05B9104E1021.jpg
    551C5B5B-024F-435E-9292-05B9104E1021.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
I think you could pay extra to get a diamond clasp on the mid-grade pearls too.

I just got off the phone with Mikimoto bc I couldn't find wherei I read where you could buy a diamond clasp for certain pearls. Here is what I was told.

If the clasp is the current swirly ribbon with a pearl, the pearls are A1 or A+. Only the AA and AAA have the diamond clasps. You can change out the clasps but the current pearl clasps cannot be re-clasped into one with a diamond. Either type of clasp is not available in 14k.

Thanks for this info! If I am interpreting correctly my strand is either AA or AAA?

Marleah

Wowza! Those are stunning.

Did they come with a serial number?

My mother's AA's have a very small label about 1/4" by 1 1/2" that list the quality AA and a serial number specific to that strand, that she kept in the box with the pearls. Or it might be attached to the box.

Wowza! Those are stunning.

Did they come with a serial number?

My mother's AA's have a very small label about 1/4" by 1 1/2" that list the quality AA and a serial number specific to that strand, that she kept in the box with the pearls. Or it might be attached to the box.

I don't think so, but I'll look around on the box :)

I looked and there are no identifying stickers or numbers.... bummer..that would have been exciting :)

MKG, well, they are stunning. Wear them in the best of health. I never see stuff like this in the shops in central FL. It's all retirees with junk. Now Sarasota has some classy consignment shops, but it's 4 hours away from me.

Nice!!!

Its got the hanging M so its a more modern piece.

Miki will issue a certificate & appraise the pearls for about $75...well that was over 10 years ago...but its nice to have a certificate.

Mine is a A+ w silver clasp from the 60's...

I bought a A 7mm strand in 2005, I think they showed me a AA or AAA strand with a pearl on the clasp. Not all AA or AAA may come with only diamond clasps pr maybe they changed?

I did think the $10K strand had a more mirror like luster but I liked the satiny depth of the lower grade & my pocket book could not afford it anyway! I sold my A's a while ago...

Last edited:
Nice!!!

Its got the hanging M so its a more modern piece.

Miki will issue a certificate & appraise the pearls for about $75...well that was over 10 years ago...but its nice to have a certificate.

Mine is a A+ w silver clasp from the 60's...

I bought a A 7mm strand in 2005, I think they showed me a AA or AAA strand with a pearl on the clasp. Not all AA or AAA may come with only diamond clasps pr maybe they changed?

I did think the $10K strand had a more mirror like luster but I liked the satiny depth of the lower grade & my pocket book could not afford it anyway! I sold my A's a while ago...

I had emailed Mikimoto a long time ago (your post reminded me) and to authenticate I have to send the pearls and it is $200 for a certificate.

May I ask why you sold the strand you had? Were you just not wearing it enough? I need to get in the habit of wearing mine -- I think they have had 1 maiden voyage since I purchased them last year :eek:

Wow, Guess it could be $200 for a certificate now. I had my vintage strand restrung at Miki & had the certficate issued at samet time in 2005.

I was sort of forced into the A 16 in strand in 2005 as I had bought a A- thinking it was of good quality for about $1800. The luster was greenish & pale & had a few holes near the drill holes. Just not nice. I could not return for a refund so had to use it as store credit so I bought a A strand. It was pretty nice as modern pearls go. Nice big 18K clasp...Guess I figured I had the older strand which was longer & A+ so could use the money. I don;t wear strands as its just too hot here most of the time & don't think one should sweat w pearls.

I lost money....more of my bad descisions!!!! I should have bought a nice pair of tahitians for $1800 I could hae had doosies. Still it made more sense to spend all that money on a strand & not just 2 pearls.

You should wear them. Pearls are classic. I have just not been well a few years & no place to wear them. Still wear them to the market...enjoy them...

Last edited:
Yes, MKG is correct. I was told $200 for a certificate with current appraisal for insurance purposes. I read somewhere that the AAA came standard with the diamond but the AA did not but you could upgrade it to the diamond clasp if you paid extra. However, the agent I spoke with did not say anything about that. So, yes, I believe you have an AA or AAA strand. It is beautiful. Congratulations!!!

Guess I got lucky I got my certficate when I did...not much else luck though.

Restringing & certificate were reasonable 12 years ago.

I just found my receipt!!!!+ Beverly Hills Miki...

$60 to restring a 20 in & appraisal certificate was $50!!!!! 2/24/05 Bargain!!!!

Cream/ Silver A+ 8.8 to 5.1mm 75 pearls

Guess I got lucky I got my certficate when I did...not much else luck though.

Restringing & certificate were reasonable 12 years ago.

I just found my receipt!!!!+ Beverly Hills Miki...

$60 to restring a 20 in & appraisal certificate was $50!!!!! 2/24/05 Bargain!!!!

Cream/ Silver A+ 8.8 to 5.1mm 75 pearls

Absolutely a bargain compared to today. I'm sorry to read you have not been well for the past few years- I know how hard that can be - I hope this year brings you happiness and better health.

Yes, MKG is correct. I was told $200 for a certificate with current appraisal for insurance purposes. I read somewhere that the AAA came standard with the diamond but the AA did not but you could upgrade it to the diamond clasp if you paid extra. However, the agent I spoke with did not say anything about that. So, yes, I believe you have an AA or AAA strand. It is beautiful. Congratulations!!!

Wow... how exciting! Thank you so much for sharing that information with me. I never seem to 'get lucky' when buying second hand/used/thrifting-- but this time I think I did! I purchased the set for a fairly large amount (to me), but I had the $$ and wanted to buy myself a "grown up" strand of pearls that I can pass down to my daughter someday. Thanks again for spending the time collecting the information and sharing it with me :)

Back