Recent content by Pearl Dreams

  1. Pearl Dreams

    Justin Hunter and the Rare Fiji Pearl

    For more eye candy, see these threads: https://www.pearl-guide.com/threads/fiji-pearls.10449/ https://www.pearl-guide.com/threads/more-fiji-pearls.11432/
  2. Pearl Dreams

    My reply ran too long and could not be posted. I am messaging it to you instead.

    My reply ran too long and could not be posted. I am messaging it to you instead.
  3. Pearl Dreams

    The thrift gods smiled...

    Try a mini strand first just to get the feel of it. No clasp-- just make a knot or use a bead stopper, string on a pearl, make an overhand knot, string another, make another overhand knot, etc. Just a bit of practice. When you feel like you have the hang of it, cut them apart. It's just...
  4. Pearl Dreams

    To buy or not to buy? Fiji baroque strand

    Definitely dyed FW.
  5. Pearl Dreams

    The thrift gods smiled...

    Great find! A wonderful length-- easy to double-- and the luster more than makes up for the surface blemishes. Once you clean and restring it, it will be even better.
  6. Pearl Dreams

    Knotting an Endless Necklace

    I wrote instructions on how I do it in my stringing tutorial, beginning with this post: https://www.pearl-guide.com/threads/stringing-tutorial-with-photos-stringing-on-serafil-beaders-secret-power-pro.6604/page-3#post-156125 I embedded this YouTube video in my post, which is slightly different:
  7. Pearl Dreams

    Best crimp end for a 2 mm round leather cord?

    It's been years but I also used tube style crimps for leather cord. The tube has to be just a smidge larger than the cord-- it has to fit inside the tube. I seem to recall I used a bit of glue on the leather, before inserting it into the tube and crimping the tube. Perhaps there is a how-to...
  8. Pearl Dreams

    Help me to identify my pearls

    Yes, I see it now. Baroque akoyas. Cataract surgery can't come soon enough! One very blurry eye. December.
  9. Pearl Dreams

    Help me to identify my pearls

    These appear to be some of the earlier Chinese bead nucleated pearls, from around 2010 or so. If you wish to wear them, then yes, you should restring them. But you don't have to pay someone to do that-- that can be expensive. You can restring them yourself. Many of us do-- it isn't hard. If...
  10. Pearl Dreams

    Help me to identify my pearls

    These are Chinese freshwater pearls. They are solid nacre-- there is no bead insde to make them round.
  11. Pearl Dreams

    Mothers pearls

    They are dyed freshwater pearls from China. There is no bead inside to make them round so they are solid nacre. Nowadays the Chinese farmers are using beads in freshwater pearls, so these solid nacre pearls will be increasingly unusual.
  12. Pearl Dreams

    CHRISTIANA KAFA

    @Angela007, There is a link to a YouTube video showing this technique in post #9 on page 1 of this thread. :)
  13. Pearl Dreams

    What are thooose??

    Looks like Tahitians to me-- check out the overtones. Do they say what metal the 3 gold colored beads are?
  14. Pearl Dreams

    Grandma's Pearls

    If you can set the microscope to 10x power, that would be like the jeweler's loupe. At 60x power, real pearl nacre shows many wavy ripples or ridges. Loupes are not expensive. You can find one on Amazon for around $30. If you routinely buy estate items, it could be a useful thing to have. I...
  15. Pearl Dreams

    Grandma's Pearls

    Now that they are clean, do try the tests I suggested (temperature, loupe and rubbing). Even my best imitation pearls (Majorica brand) fail these tests. I once bought pearls on eBay advertised as cultured, sold by someone who sells estate items. They were fake. I saw pearls at a large antique...
Back
Top